|Famiglia Name||Vongola Famiglia|
|Romaji Title||Bongore Famirī|
|Current Boss|| Timoteo (Present)
Tsunayoshi Sawada (Future)
The Vongola Famiglia has long since been the most powerful Mafia Famiglia in all of Italy. Several other Famiglias serve under the Vongola umbrella, including several members of the infamous Arcobaleno. Even when there is internal strife, members of the Vongola stand united to repel attack from opposing Famiglia, living up to their title as the best and the strongest.
The Vongola came into being after Cozarto Simon suggested to Giotto, the Vongola Primo, to create a vigilante group in order to protect the people. From then on, each generation of the Vongola Famiglia has donned formal attire when risking their lives to fulfill this duty. The Vongola originally started as a vigilante organization, but their ways gradually changed during Vongola Secondo's reign, starting to turn towards violence and crime.
The influence of the Vongola is worldwide, and it was said that no Famiglia can match them in terms of size, tradition, rules, or power, and due to this, the boss of the Vongola is considered by many to be the capo di tutti capi, or the "Boss of all Bosses". At the moment, the Vongola Famiglia is led by the Vongola Nono, Timoteo, but will soon be succeeded by the Vongola Decimo, Tsunayoshi Sawada.
The Vongola Famiglia
The Vongola is one of the, if not the, largest Famiglia in existence, having an extremely large following. The Vongola is unique in its structure in that it accepts other Famiglias to become a part of their power, and, as such, has other Famiglias beneath them.
The Vongola Bosses are known for having the power to see through all, a trait passed down from Vongola Primo called Hyper Intuition. Vongola blood is said to be required in order for one to become a Boss candidate, meaning that only blood relatives of Giotto are eligible for the position of Vongola boss and adopted members of the Famiglia (e.g. Xanxus) are not accepted.
The Guardians are the chosen holders of the Vongola Rings, and they are represented by the 6 weather phenomena that paint the Sky: Rain, Storm, Cloud, Sun, Mist, and Lightning. The Guardians are the current boss's main Famiglia members and they are considered the last line of defense for the Vongola. It is said that whenever the Famiglia runs into trouble, the Guardians would unite to protect them.
There have been 10 generations of Guardians thus far. Some of the known Guardian generations are:
- The First Generation Boss and Guardians
- The Second Generation Boss and Guardians
- The Ninth Generation Boss and Guardians
- The Tenth Generation Boss and Guardians
The Vongola Boss and the External Advisor to the Famiglia have equal power when it comes to choosing the next boss of the Famiglia. In the event that they have different opinions as to who the rightful successor should be, the boss and the external advisor hand Half Vongola Rings to their chosen candidates, and battle for the rings commence.
The Vongola Trial is a trial that every Vongola Boss must pass in order to gain a great power. The bosses need to be in a near-death experience in order to take the trial, and must be able to deal with the sins committed by the Famiglia.
The Vongola Inheritance Ceremony is when the Boss to be officially inherits the title of next Vongola Boss. Since the Vongola Famiglia has far-reaching influence worldwide, powerful Famiglias from all over the world will travel to attend the Ceremony and see the next Vongola Boss for themselves. Since the Ceremony is an important tradition for the Vongola Famiglia, it is expected that some Mafia Famiglias will either boycott the ceremony, attempt to assassinate the next Boss, or try to prevent the ceremony from taking place altogether.
The Vongola Rings are priceless, powerful Vongola treasures, and are part of the Tri-ni-set (7³) policy, together with the Mare Rings and the Arcobaleno Pacifiers. The types of Flames emitted by Rings are named correspond to a color of the rainbow: orange for Sky, red for Storm, blue for Rain, purple for Cloud, green for Lightning, yellow for Sun, and indigo for Mist.
The Vongola Rings are held by the Boss of every generation of the Vongola and the six people most suited to be his/her Guardians. The Boss is always a natural born Sky type, while his guardians have an attribute corresponding to their Ring.During the final battle between Tsunayoshi Sawada and Byakuran, Vongola Primo was summoned using the Miracle of Shield Dimension. Primo explained that due to the Vongola Rings being split between the boss and the external advisor, the Ring's total Flame output is restrained, making it significantly weaker compared to the Mare Rings and the Arcobaleno Pacifiers. When the rings are restored to their original form, great power is unleashed.
The Vongola Sin is a small bottle that the Vongola Boss inherits at every generation that shows proof that the Vongola Boss Candidate has become boss. It was created by Primo to leave behind memories of his battles.
It resides in a special box with the Vongola crest that the current Boss protects. The existence of this bottle is a secret known only to the Vongola, and it was later revealed to be the blood of first Simon Boss, Cozarto Simon.
The Penalty is a small bottle that contains the blood of Vongola Primo, and it has the ability to multiply the power of the Vongola Rings. The existence of Penalty was not known by the Vongola until Talbot revealed it in order to upgrade the Vongola Rings.
- The names of Giotto's Japanese descendants and his own Japanese name are all based on Tokugawa Shoguns, such as Sawada Ieyasu (Tokugawa Ieyasu), Sawada Yoshimune (Tokugawa Yoshimune), Sawada Yoshinobu (Tokugawa Yoshinobu), Sawada Ietsuna (Tokugawa Ietsuna), Sawada Iemitsu (Tokugawa Iemitsu), Sawada Tsunayoshi (Tokugawa Tsunayoshi).
- Timoteo's Guardians are all named after desserts.
- In Famiglia popularity poll, Vongola Famiglia ranked 1st and 2nd (Vongola Ten Years Later).
- Xanxus states that Giotto moved out to Japan because he was afraid of Vongola Secondo's Flame of Wrath; however, it was actually the first guardian of the Mist Ring, Daemon Spade, that made Primo move to Japan.
- Reborn stated that the Original Vongola had some idiosyncratic members.
- On Reborn! products, Vongola is spelt "Vongole."
- The traditional Vongola Famiglia method of waking people is to use a defibrillator.
- The Vongola HQ is also known as the "Iron Fort."
- Similarities between the Primo and Decimo Boss and Guardians:
- Giotto and Tsunayoshi Sawada look alike and have the same Weapon (though Tsunayoshi's Weapon has a 'X' on it instead of an 'I' and Giotto's hair is blond while Tsuna's hair is brown). Furthermore, both of them have the same idealogy which was also noted by the ninth.
- Knuckle and Ryohei Sasagawa used their fists to fight. Ryohei in the Future noted that he can't kill, which is also a reference to their similarities, as the First Sun Guardian accidentally killed someone and stopped being active due to being afraid of taking life again.
- Lampo and Lambo look alike and both are cowardly and have both been put into battle, though Tsunayoshi doesn't want Lambo to participate but needs to do so because he's a Vongola Guardian.
- G. and Hayato Gokudera look alike and are also their Bosses' respective right-hand men. They both are skilled in mid-range combat (the first Storm Guardian uses a Bow and Arrow or Gun while the Gokudera uses Bombs, both of which mid-range combat Weapons). Gokudera's Vongola Box is based after the First Storm Guardian's Bow and Arrow.
- Ugetsu Asari and Takeshi Yamamoto both look alike, both use Sword(s), both have deep devotions to their friends (Giotto and Tsuna), and both were faced with the decision to give up something they loved or follow the path of the Blade (they both chose the Blade: the First Rain Guardian gave up music to help Giotto when he was in trouble, and Yamamoto gave up baseball to help Tsunayoshi).
- Daemon Spade and Mukuro Rokudo/Chrome Dokuro has similar appearance and share many similar traits. However, their biggest difference is that while Mukuro planned to destroy Vongola along with all the other entire Mafia Famiglias, Daemon wished to make Vongola the strongest Mafia Famiglia, making other Mafias tremble in fear at the name. However, Chrome has nothing in common with the 1st Generation Guardian.
- Alaude and Kyoya Hibari, as Dino states that Hibari reminds him of the First Vongola Cloud Guardian as he never stood alongside the Famiglia, and never got along with anyone, that he loved being alone. The First Cloud Guardian as well as Hibari both worked in law enforcement (the First Cloud Guardian worked with a secret intelligence agency and being the first head of CEDEF while Hibari was the head of the Discipline Committee). Also, they looked alike, but have different hair and eye colors.